About Me

My photo
McMinnville, Oregon
Journey with me during this bit of change. We will see what comes down the road and meanders into our path. I still enjoy LomasLOL because well, we LOL a lot around our home and pretty much anywhere and it worked as a blog title for me when I started blogging. Now a new path.

Monday, September 1, 2008

The Week that Was...

(...unusually long post)

So, this is my official blog about the whole labor and delivery, my beautiful baby Zac, my wonderful husband, fantastic family and dear friends that help to shape up the last week that was...It was a week that can only, truly be defined and painted clearly in my own mind. The following words and descriptors will not do it justice, but it will help me remember as more days pass and give you all a little glimpse into the amazing experience of...well, life, family and friends that have and will continue to surround my dear baby boy.

The last time I blogged (minus the anniversary blog) I had just returned from the dr/midwife with news that the 3 cm scenario could go on for a few more days or weeks. I was very discouraged and not feeling hopeful that I would see my baby boy anytime soon. So, I went to my friend Scott's new classroom at Newby and helped him move tables, chairs, bookshelves and basically arrange his room. I felt for sure that all that moving would help "move" things along for me as well. (Little did I know)

Friday morning I was in the courtroom with my brother (long story, not blogging about it) and then that evening we ended up over at Cassandra's house, BBQ and games and fun chatting, gossiping and laughing. I sat on the floor for a few hours, very uncomfortable and hoping (hoping) from some more chance that the end would be near. (Little did I know)

Saturday was spent cleaning and doing things around the house: Carlos put in a new front door, CJ helped and I did this and that around the house. Saturday night we ended up at the Ryan's for dinner and played cards. Nothing too crazy.

Sunday was a bit different. I woke up, ate breakfast then took a long shower...complete with giving myself a facial. Needless to say, I was exhausted and needed a 2 hour nap that afternoon. Later, walking around Lowe's shopping for a new screen door I again was tired and cranky. (Little did I know) I decided to make some chicken enchiladas invite my mom and sister over and hang out...my brother and his kids came by for a visit too. The house was full, we ate dinner, watched the closing ceremonies of the Olympics and everyone was gone by 9:30PM. (I kicked them out early...I was really tired and getting really cranky) I should have known. CJ came in and snuggled with me in bed to watch the last of the closing ceremonies and we both fell asleep. That was the last 4+ hours of uninterrupted sleep I will have in a very long time.

At 2:39 I woke Carlos up to tell him I had had a contraction...I labored at home for about 2 hours. My mom came to stay with CJ. We left for the hospital at 4:30. They didn't admit me right at first, but my water broke at 5:00 AM, so then they admitted me and my sister showed up around 5:30. I had some good labor going until about 7:30ish then it took a turn for, "this really hurts" and lots of breathing hard and concentrating. By 8:37 I was ready for pushing and after 6 min (not a typo, yes only 6 min) of pushing little Zac was born at 8:43 AM. Within min of him being born, my mom and son were in the room and within a few hours after his birth about 15 people had come by or were in the room visiting...and I wouldn't have had it any other way! The love, support, words of welcome and overall LOVE from all the people who came to visit those first hours and later days will stay with me for a lifetime! I felt (and still feel) truly blessed to have been surrounded by so much love. We did finally get some sleep late that night, but the naps the next few days are what carried me through until we got home Wed afternoon around 2:00. We have had blissful, bonding and relaxing time this week. We have not left the house in a week. We have had a few quiet visitors over the days. We have sat on the front porch in the sunshine. We have had sleepless nights. We have had some great family time. CJ is a great big brother. Carlos is wonderful and has seriously not complained at all. (He has changed many a diaper and had minimal sleep.)

Here are some things that I will always remember about this week (in no particular order):
-my sister's cold hands on my wrist and arm the whole time during labor
-Carlos' words on encouragement and constant love
-my mid-wife's words of encouragement and telling me that "yes, I can do this" and "you will never have to be at 8 cm again"
-the nurse, in a very frantic voice saying "heart rate is at 60, we need to get this baby out now"
-Heather taking great pictures and showing them to me after Zac was born (in reverse order) and us laughing then me getting a big queasy...too soon to see the pictures!
-Zac's little face as I held him for the first time
-seeing the placenta and his unusually short umbilical cord and thinking back to all that we had been through these past 9.5 months...genetic counseling, amniocentesis, ultrasounds and yet here is what kept him alive and he is great and real and wonderful!
-walking ever so slowly down the hall from labor/delivery room to our post-room
-loving every min in the hospital (nurses were wonderful, eating sherbet at 10 PM, always having my water refilled with a smile and being with my baby boy with no household chores to do or worry about!)
-CJ announcing that when he is 16 Zac will be 8 years old and he can drive him to school...(not going to comment, too scary)
-loving all the visitors, calls and texts full of love and even more love for my baby boy
-realizing that my baby boy is a week old and crying my eyes out
-realizing (as I am rubbing my tummy) that he was just in there and now he is not and I will not be pregnant again and crying my eyes out
-realizing that my baby is wonderful, sweet and lovable and how much in love with him I am...and of course crying my eyes out!
-our first outing to my mom's, looking at baby pictures of me and seeing how much this baby boy of mine looks like me...and loving it!

This week has been truly amazing. I would not trade it for anything or change one single moment...my family has been wonderful. My mom has called everyday to check on me and/or stopped by to see her baby grandson. She has held him and loved him... My sister is very much in love with the little guy too...she has to see him, hold him and love him daily as well. I am not sure what she is going to do when she has to be away from him for a whole day! My brother and his kids have welcomed him with loving hugs and kisses and they think he is pretty cute. (I have to agree) CJ is the perfect big brother and is already carrying Zac around and feeling more and more confident everyday. And...Carlos. (I am tearing up right now...sniff, sniff) He has been perfect, a rock, a fabulous father, perfect husband and tireless partner in our home.

There you go...the week that was...well, perfect. If you made it all the way through this post, thank you. If not, well, maybe this one was more for me. Call it therapy. Call it closure. Call in a release to what is to come. Either way, thank you. And thank you to Zachary...I love you with all my heart.

6 comments:

Anna Gradek said...

I do have a few things to clarify for those who read this whole thing...
1. I was originally called at 4:30 after my mom was called so I laid in bed until 5:30 wondering WHEN WAS SHE GOING TO GET ADMITTED? I finally called my mom and she assured me it would be any time and sure enough 15 minutes later Carlos called...and I was there before 6am.
2.CJ announced when Zac is 16 he'll be 32...ummm, perhaps he is not TAG in math just yet! (I didn't bother to correct him).
3. We were actually watching LOTR 3 that night because I left early to go home and watch the closing ceremonies in peace and quiet (she did mention she was a raging B-tch...that was not fabricated).

The rest is all very true and very real because as I left the Lomas house tonight after holding Zac for about 2 hours (an hour of it just him and I) I told my sister that I would see her tomorrow and her response was "I know."

Michelle said...

Very sweet Paige. I'm glad that everything went so smoothly for you. Love these first few months when you can just hold them all day and love on them. :)

Judy said...

Where are the tissues?! I'm so happy for you and your family, Paige. I must say that I didn't believe Julie when she told me that you only pushed for 6 minutes! Sounds like it all went great. Enjoy your precious time at home and that sweet, sweet boy!

Audrey said...

Sounds like you're getting your good post-partum cry out. Let it flow, darling...

Aud

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

ahhh....teary eyes here too. Therapy is the key...blogging therapy that is. Your little guy is darling. He smells delicious and quite often I want to just eat him up while I am holding him! Blessing to you all and big kudoz to your "rock" husband, because I know mine was my saving grace! Enjoy and rest my friend!

Allison said...

So sweet. He is just a sweet, sweet boy. I can't wait to get to know him!