About Me

My photo
McMinnville, Oregon
Journey with me during this bit of change. We will see what comes down the road and meanders into our path. I still enjoy LomasLOL because well, we LOL a lot around our home and pretty much anywhere and it worked as a blog title for me when I started blogging. Now a new path.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Who's on Third

Our little town of McMinnville used to have a summer downtown festival called Turkey Rama so aptly named for the abundance of turkeys raised in the county. Fast forward about 50 years and there are no more turkey barns and Turkey Rama is renamed Who's on Third?. The main drag (Historic Downtown) is 3rd street for you out-of-towners. Anyway, the downtown association has successfully moved all carnival-like booths, rides and their attendees to the Lowe's parking lot across town and left well...really boring booths on 3rd Street. (I don't mean to be so mean, but it is a bit of a 180) So, who is on 3rd? In my opinion people over 50 with their grandchildren because the booths were about buying insurance, private school information, water filtration for your home, insulation and Costco memberships and the rides were for toddlers! With that said...we did find one ride that our 9 year old was interested in...a mechanical bull. This is the same ride we rode last year just with a different friend. (BTW, last year's last year of Turkey Rama held a bit more excitement and the booth selection was a bit more varied) So, CJ went to the ride and saw it cost four tickets (why can't they just take money?) so we went to the ticket booth to purchase tickets for the one and only ride he was interested in. Guess how much the tickets were? Come on...take a guess. ONE DOLLAR! You can do the math...Four dollars to ride the mechanical bull! So...I walked back to the mechanical bull attendant and asked how long is a "ride". "They ride for as long as they can stay on. They can get back on 2-3 times." I thought this was a fair answer and he was really nice and personable. I am not even kidding. Then I got really brave and asked we could split a ride (pay $4 and CJ and his friend could ride one time each) he again was so nice and said that we could. You may think I am cheap, but I don't care. That split ride was all they needed.

Next year I am not sure we will even go. I need to fill out a comment card at the information booth next time or get an attitude adjustment.


1 comment:

Michelle said...

The mechanical bull was more than Ryan was interested in, but we did enjoy the slide and the tunnel obstacle course right there by it. Ryan particularly enjoyed the obstacle course as he pretended it was his version of Wipeout and when he slipped, he would say "Aw, man now I'm all muddy!" That in itself was worth the $1 to go in it twice. :) I agree with Who's on Third. Not that same as the fun Turkey Rama I remember with 1893 bargains. :)