I had a great day at work. I really do love teaching. My kids are great this year and I am enjoying each and every day. They are a really fun group of kids. Nothing to complain about there. They were particularly funny today and rather full of energy. Whew...sometimes 23 2nd graders can wear me out! My favorite quote of the day went to sweet G (can't tell you the real name) who let me know that, "Mrs. Lomas. I got it all figured out. I get life now." Then she proceeded to tell me, and the rest of the class, how it all just came to her today. It was so sweet, authentic and real that I am hoping she will remember it for the rest of her life. I know I will.
I love spending time with my boys and learning new things about them. Today I went to Portland and in the hour plus car ride CJ and I talked about so many things. He is such the chatter and always has so many things to say. I am usually amazed at what is going on in his head and what he is thinking about and today was the day I had time with him along and got to hear it all. We chatted about him being bi-racial, 9/11, the war and MLK. Just a few light topics to pass the time. Whew... a fabulous, intellectual conversation can be exhausting. He reminded me how a 9 year old can look at the world so innocently and still be smart and insightful.
Some friends are just the cat's meow. (Whatever that really means, not sure but I know that it is really, really good) They get me. I mean really get me. I don't have to do a lot of over-explaining. They can read-between the lines really well. They say just the right thing at just the right time. Some friends (thanks B & B) are really good cooks too! Some friends provide just the right oasis at just the right time. Whew...I needed that today!
I taught my last class of the term today for the university. Whew! What an interesting roller coaster ride that has been. Up...down...loopy-loop and back again. It has had its really high points and a few really low points. I have learned a lot and can see how I am growing as a teacher of adults. (FYI, 2nd graders are way more forgiving. Might have something to do with they are not paying $1000/term. Go figure.) Whew...they wore me out today. Now I get to grade papers. Yeah.
At the end of the day, relaxing and reflecting on a very long day, and realizing that with the great and good of the day there is also the bad and the ugly. Not always is there both and some days lean towards the good more than the bad (and visa versa). Part of life right? So why is it that after such a full day of good and great and fun and exciting and moving in a forward direction that at the end of such a wonderful day that part that is replaying over in my brain is the one tiny bad and ugly? Maybe I need to ask my 2nd grader that has it all figured out.

1 comment:
You'll still be Lomaslol on my computer
Post a Comment