About Me

My photo
McMinnville, Oregon
Journey with me during this bit of change. We will see what comes down the road and meanders into our path. I still enjoy LomasLOL because well, we LOL a lot around our home and pretty much anywhere and it worked as a blog title for me when I started blogging. Now a new path.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Nail-Plaster-Clock


Powell and Zac...checking out the view.

Powell and Aud. Cute!
A 16 pound penny nail and a clock...that is how Audrey and I met that very fateful first day at Oregon State. It was our first night in the dorm (or that is how the story goes at least). Poling Hall. Me in room 420, she in 419. We each had our own roommates. We were just doing our own thing when I wanted to hang a clock in my dorm room. How do you hang a clock? Well, you use the nails you found from your family farm...down in the barn. The only ones you could find and you wanted big ones. So, with a large hammer and a huge nail I started pounding. Plaster flew, white powder was everywhere and my roommate freaked out a bit about the noise and the large hole in the wall. "Would we have to pay for that?" Knock, knock on our door! Open to find shorter girl with some awesome curly long hair holding a rather large chunk of plaster. "Um...this just hit me in the head!" My hammering with large nail had produced a large hole and dust and falling plaster not only in my dorm room...but in hers as well! One nail, two holes in two rooms and a new friendship was born! Again fast-forward almost 20 years and here we are on a play date with our two youngest...laughing about old times, using all our inside-joke material, recapping some very good old stories, retelling some (just to laugh again) and of course loving every minute with our boys. Hers is crawling, mine walking and both babbling about life. Only two months apart these boys will have to be life-long friends. They will grow up knowing the nail-plaster-clock story by heart, a love for OSU (hopefully) and hearing their moms laughter when they play.
Note: Some of the above story may have been edited due to content, for brevity and/or due to lapse in memory.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Wow! You are really connecting with old friends this summer! How fun!

Tara said...

That is a great story! I can picture it too...you did a great job making me feel as though I was there. Cute baby, too! Fun!