About Me

My photo
McMinnville, Oregon
Journey with me during this bit of change. We will see what comes down the road and meanders into our path. I still enjoy LomasLOL because well, we LOL a lot around our home and pretty much anywhere and it worked as a blog title for me when I started blogging. Now a new path.

Monday, December 14, 2009

No I didn't...Yes you did (Repeat 5 times)

Sometimes being a teacher also means I have to be a referee.  And sometimes those arguements are really hard to figure out.  Take today's example...

We are making a mural backdrop for our reader's theater performance coming up in a few days.  We have invited parents and other classrooms.  Every year I do this 2-3 times.  It is a big deal for me and especially for the kids.  We usually have a great time and acting in front of the class always brings out the best in the students.  They are always so awesome!  Anyway...today two students thought messing around with the mural would be funny, ie adding some poop to a drawn tutle.  Childish, rude and I didn't think funny even for 7-year olds.  (And I can laugh at some good poop humor, usually)  But this was just not cool.  But the part that got me the most was that they both lied to me.  To my face.  More than once.  Now I know most kids (and even some adults I know) will lie rather than be caught at whatever they did wrong.  I just don't get it.  Why lie?  I mean...I know why people lie...but...why?  It will always come back and bite you in the butt...and not when you are expecting it.  Karma always remembers and knows where to find you, no matter how young or old you are.  Anyway, after telling the kids exactly how I felt and my no tolerance policy about lying then walking them down to the office I calmed down just a bit.  And, by the end of the day all was right again with the world and we agreed that tomorrow would be better ( as per the great book, Lily's Purple Plastic Purse) but for the record I really, really, really hate the "No I didn't...Yes you did"

3 comments:

Allison said...

Lately in my class it has been "You cheated!" "No, YOU cheated." And back and forth and back and forth. I am about to declare the word "cheat" to be profanity!!

luckeyfrog said...

Ooh! If you haven't yet, will you please post pictures of the school post office? You mentioned it in a comment and now I'm curious!

Tara said...

Well. I did lie a lot in elementary school. I think I was afraid to displease my teacher or my friend or my parents. So, I lied. I thought it would go away. After a few horrible incidents where friends weren't allowed to play with my, I finally learned. Hopefully, they will too. Thankfully, I went to catholic school where I could be forgiven during recess by the Priest!