I am frustrated.
I am angry.
I feel as if my voice is not heard.
I feel the worst is yet to come.
I am preparing for the worst case scenario.
How can I find the positive? What can I do? Will the change be for good?
Here is what I know...
Our district just "won" a multi-million dollar grant. Click here for the abstract. Where is this leading us as teachers and most importantly our children? If you scroll up and down the abstracts you will read of other districts "winning" multi-million dollar grants (some up to over $50 million!) All of them are related to implement a performance-based compensation system. Is this merit pay?
Do all school counselors and therapists now have job security? Students stressed out and students on anti-anxiety meds...is this around the corner?
Now, where is the positive? There is a silver lining? Right?
Let's hope.
Let's hope for the better...
The district collaborating.
The district given time and money to meet and effectively plan for teachers and students.
The district learning more from within.
The district being open to how teachers are being effective NOW.
The district realizing that everything new is not necessarily better than what is already in place.
The district working with teachers.
Teachers collaborating.
Teachers given time and money to meet and effectively plan for students.
Teachers learning more from the outside and within.
Teachers being open to strategies and methods to better meet the need of their students.
Teachers realizing that what we learned in college (1, 2, 5, 10, 15 years ago) is not going to always work...every year.
Teachers working with the district.
The union collaborating.
The union seeing both sides of an issue.
The union being open to the realization that non-effective teachers do exist and they should not be protected by a union.
The union realizing how to work well with others.
The union working with the district and the teachers. (Not for themselves, then teachers and against the district)
Why can't we all just get along?
The most important item on the agenda is our children. But that is not specific enough.
Our children need care, love and support from all staff members. They do need to feel good about what they are doing. Yes, feel good. I didn't say "feel good teaching practices" or throw out testing or low grading practices. They need to feel good, gain confidence in what the CAN do and then have their learning centered around their individual needs. Then we can truly see (and show) progress. Right?
Our students will want to stay in school and graduate when they feel and see and are shown they are smart, kind and loving. That a passing test and exceeding test is fabulous and so is making progress each year on said test. That they are contributing members to society...our global society.
Teachers need to adhere to state and national standards.
Teachers need to be held accountable.
Teachers need to not be caught in the middle (or crossfire) between the district and the union.
Teachers need to teach.

No comments:
Post a Comment